Retelling Recommendations





Hey y’all! Exciting news! Today is the release day for Because You Love to Hate Me and I am pumped about this for three reasons. The first is that it focuses on lesser done retellings, like Medusa, Sherlock Holmes, and Jack and the Beanstalk. In addition to that, it is told from the villain's point of view. And, as if that isn’t enough, it was written in collaboration by booktubers and some of my favorite authors. So, in honor of the release, I am going to share some of my favorite retellings. (By the way, this isn’t sponsored, I’m just super excited!)
My all time favorite retelling is The A Court of Trilogy by Sarah J. Maas. It is a fantasy retelling of Beauty and the Beast and Hades and Persephone. They follow Feyre, a human, as she is taken captive in the land of the fae, after killing a High Fae. She gets sucked into a battle for a land she does not know and a man she might love.  I have spoiler free reviews for the first two books and a spoilery review for the third. (Book 1, Book 2, Book 3)
My favorite fairy tale growing up was A Thousand and One Nights because it was so different from all the other fairy tales I was told. There are two retellings of A Thousand and One Nights that I have read and loved. They are A Thousand Nights by E.K. Johnson and The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh. If you only want to read one, i would recommend the Wrath and the Dawn because it is written beautifully and the folklore is more developed in her version. I have a spoiler free review of this one up on my blog. (The Wrath and the Dawn Review)
My all time favorite author, Shannon Hale, has a fantastic series called the Goose Girl. It is a retelling of the Grimm Brother’s Goose Girl (go figure). I absolutely love these books because the characters are so fun and the world is built beautifully.
For those of us that aren’t big into fantasy, but love sci-fi, the Lunar Chronicles is the series for you! The four books are retellings of Cinderella, Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel, and Snow White. They combine action, adventure, outer space, and futuristic royalty wonderfully.  
Or maybe you don’t like fantasy OR sci-fi, then maybe a historical retelling is for you. One I have read recently was And I Darken. It is a gender bent retelling of Vlad the Impaler. I have a review for this up on this blog. (Review)
What is your favorite retelling? Please comment down below! I would love to hear from you!
(Image copied from Goodreads)

Comments